Maui Tomorrow Foundation, Inc.
An environmental advocacy organization serving as a watchdog
for enforcement of Hawaii’s environmental and land use laws.
Position Description – Executive Director
Our Ideal Executive Director has:
A passion for environmental advocacy
Experience with non-profit management; fundraising; accounting procedures;
strategic planning; and public speaking
The Executive Director works in partnership with the Board of Directors and staff to provide leadership, vision, and direction for the organization. The Executive Director implements policies approved by the board, manages the organization’s operations, and represents the organization in the community.
Specific responsibilities include:
Works with board treasurer: a) to develop a realistic annual budget; b) makes financial decisions consistent with the budget as approved by the Board; and c) provides regular timely internal financial statements to the Board of Directors
Accomplishes major goals identified in the strategic plan and is effective in overall management of the organization.
Hires and manages independent contractors; works with and supports board of directors, committees and advisory group
Leads fundraising efforts, including supporting board’s involvement in fundraising, personally cultivating and soliciting donors, and supervising implementation of fundraising plans and policies approved by the board
Researches and writes proposals for grant funding
Complies with all local, state, and federal legal requirements for non-profit organizations
Builds positive relationships with partner organizations, policymakers, media, and others
Represents the organization by participating in environmental and community associations, serving on committees and advisory groups,
Researches environmental issues affecting Maui County and provides public testimony to government bodies
Supports and maintains the vision, mission, priorities and guiding principles of MTF. Represents the best interests, professionalism and integrity of MTF in all activities and relationships through a unified message of MTF’s mission and a commitment to organizational standards and leadership by personal example
Develops, maintains, and supports a strong board of directors: serve as ex-officio of committees of the board, seeks and builds board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing projects.
• Experience in community outreach
• Solid understanding of budgets and profit and loss statements
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (MSWord and Excel)
• Experience in social media, e.g., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
• Effectively multitask, prioritize and collaborate in a fast paced environment
• Highly effective in time management and meeting deadlines under pressure
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Experience with addressing media, boards and commissions; and civic groups
• Self starter, strongly disciplined and resourceful
• Exercise sound judgment on a consistent basis
• Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required
• Three years of experience in non-profit compliance and fundraising campaigns
• Three years of direct/indirect supervisory responsibility